Skip to Secondary Navigation Skip to Main Content

Current Beehive


Applying for Food Assistance in Wake County

Applying for Food Assistance in Wake County

If your family income is low, you may benefit from programs in North Carolina that help people obtain food for an adequate diet. These programs include the:

  • Food Assistance Program (formerly called Food Stamps); and
  • Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC).
Food Assistance Program
The Food Assistance Program helps low-income people pay for groceries. If you are eligible, your benefits will go into an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) account. To pay for your groceries, you will use an EBT card, which is like a debit card.
You can use the EBT cards to buy most foods at participating stores. You may not use the card for tobacco, pet food, paper products, soap products or alcoholic beverages. 
Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program
WIC is a nutrition program for:
  • Pregnant women
  • Breastfeeding women who have had a baby in the last 12 months
  • Women who have had a baby in the last 6 months
  • Infants
  • Children up to 5 years of age.
WIC offers nutrition counseling and health food, such as milk, juice, cheese, peanut butter and eggs.
To find out more about WIC in Wake County, call (919) 250-4720. You also can learn more about WIC and how to apply by clicking here.
Other Food Assistance Resources
Non-profit and faith-based communities offer additional food assistance programs that help needy families get basic food resources either for free or at an affordable price. Check what programs can help here.  


No votes yet
Your rating: None
© Copyright 2001 - 2015 One Economy Corporation