Skip to Secondary Navigation Skip to Main Content

Current Beehive


Utility Bill Assistance in Wake County

Utility Bill Assistance in Wake County

If your family needs help paying your home energy bills, or if you need a fan to stay cool in the summer, you may be eligible for assistance from the Wake County Human Services Department.

To find out more information call (919) 212-7000.
Wake County Human Services Department
Service Intake
220 Swinburne Street
Raleigh, NC 27610
The following are programs offered through Wake County Human Services Department:
  • Cool 4 Wake
If you have a caseworker, social worker or case manager with Wake Human Services, you may be eligible for a box fan. Only households that do not have working air conditioning can receive fans.
Also, households with at least one member who is 65 or older or one member who is disabled may be eligible for a donated air conditioner.

Please click here for more information about Cool for Wake

  • Crisis Intervention Program
The Crisis Intervention Program assists low-income households facing a heating/cooling emergency. Families or individuals who heat with electricity, gas, fuel oil, kerosene, wood or coal can apply.  Click here to learn more about the Crisis Intervention Program.
  • Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)
LIEAP provides a one-time cash payment to help eligible families pay their heating bills. Applications for LIEAP are usually accepted for a two-week period during November.  Click here to learn more about LIEAP.
Eligibility requirements:
  1. Meet an income test
  2. Have savings at or below $2,200
  3. Be responsible for heating bills  
  • Warmth for Wake
Warmth for Wake provides fuel to low-income residents of Wake County during the coldest winter months.
The program offers financial assistance, wood and space heaters to people in need. To receive this help, you must meet income guidelines.  Please click here for more information about Warmth for Wake.
Other organizations that offer utility assistance:
Church of the Good Shepherd Community Outreach
Offers financial assistance once a year for over due rent or utilities. Call (919) 831-2019 on Wednesday between 2:00 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. for an appointment. For more information click here.
The Church of the Good Shepherd
125 Hillsborough St.
Raleigh, NC 27611
First Presbyterian Church
Offers a Friendship Fund that provides financial counseling and aid to those in need in the community.
The Friendship Fund offices are located in the Community Outreach Building, 120 West Hargett Street, Raleigh, NC. For more information call (919) 833- 4070 or visit their website.
Salvation Army
The Salvation Army offers financial assistance for utilities and rent, paying up to $100. You must call their office on Friday morning between 8 a.m. - 9 a.m. at (919) 834-6733 to make an appointment for the following week.
There are certain requirements you need to make to be eligible for their assistance. Visit the website for more information.
Salvation Army
215 South Person St.
Raleigh, NC 27601 
Urban Ministries Crisis Intervention Center
Offers financial assistance provided for rent, utilities, and transportation to employment for low-income people in Wake County on an appointment basis once a year. 
Call to set up an appointment at (919) 834-4707 or visit the Urban Ministries website for more information.
Urban Ministries
840 Semart Drive
Raleigh, NC 27604


Average: 4.3 (3 votes)
Your rating: None
© Copyright 2001 - 2015 One Economy Corporation